Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 4th October 2023

Guest Speaker – Jenny Warfe

Jenny is the Secretary of Port Phillip Conservation Council and recently spoke at the Liveable Victoria Forum organised by Kelvin Thomson. Below are major points of her presentation.
Jenny outlined the history of Port Phillip Conservation Council. They were part of the protest movement against the oil pipeline in 1970 and in 1972 the ethane pipeline. Victory in 1970 but not successful in 1972.
Port Phillip has a catchment area of 10,000 sq kms. The Planning Scheme needs to take into account the importance of the Bay and the Marine & Coastal Policy.
Spoke on STOP the Great Wall of Frankston.
In 2000 Frankston Council set a mandatory height limit of 20 metres. Now have a height limit that preferences developers . A 3 storey DDO until October was put in place. To reconvened to VCAT in November. Talked about the overshadowing of the existing 8 storey SE Water building.
The proposed development is to be built on the lower part of the Carrum Carrum Swamp. Plan even includes an underground carpark 1.5 m above ground water.
Refer – The KOMPAS report 2022
Rights have been whittled away since 2009 – the Major Transport Facilitator Act can override most ‘Protection Acts’
Living in the suburbs in 2050 – an extra 3.1million in Melbourne mainly through migration equals 1million more homes. The Government is actively promoting Melbourne.
Annual General Meeting concluded and it was decided that MBCL join PPCC as a group.

Continue reading »

Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 2nd August 2023

Correspondence

In – Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islands Voice, Australian Conservation Foundation, Bushtracks
Out – To Councillors regarding the Heritage Overlay on Ornond St and further heritage houses to be assessed.

Kingston Council Update (Foreshore & Bushland)

Not much to report on this month:

  • Brad will finishing acting Public Places Team Leader at the end of this week and returning to the Bushland and Foreshore Team Leader position.
  • Adrian has resigned and is going to Mornington Pen Council in their Coastal Planning Team in the coming weeks.
  • Still awaiting responses for Mentone Life Saving Club and Peter Scullin planting plans.
  • The plant that browns off during winter at Epsom is Bolboschoenus caldwellii Marsh Club-rush.

Kingston Housing Strategy

Mordialloc Heritage Overlay. What does it protect? Building Facades only?
Generally there is a push for more development. Need to push for no more development in Carrum Carrum Swamp. Needs to stay Neighbourhood Residential Zone  and given an overlay to prevent subdivision of blocks.

Continue reading »

Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 5th July 2023

Correspondence

In
Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Report Booklet
Newspaper article (CMM News). Council address effects of rising sea levels.
Out
MBCL letter to Council stating we want 3 for 1 replacement of trees removed.

Kingston Council Update (Foreshore & Bushland)

Bushland & Foreshore Team:

  •  19 Tarella Rd – permit has been granted, neighbour fencing has been completed, house demolition will commence on the week of 11th July and all things going well the park fencing will be installed early August. The Bushland crew will also be out in force in the coming weeks to start works on the path network and preparing the site for opening.
  • Wilson Grove Bioswale on the Aspendale foreshore has been completed, with the foreshore crew erecting two new fenced walkways and planting 2300 plants to start dune stabilisation.
  • The free tree giveaway was a fantastic success with just under 5000 tube stock collected by Kingston residents.
  • The western boardwalk through the Epsom Grasslands which was scheduled for removal in May/June has been delayed due to wet weather, but will get underway as soon as the ground dries up a little bit.
  • The foreshore crew is set to expand in the coming months with the addition of two crew members. This will allow two teams to operate along the foreshore and increase focus on conservation works in priority sites.

Friends of Bradshaw Bushland Reserve

LXRP have heard our concerns about flora, fauna and works in meetings and emails:

  • BBR itself is unlikely to be impacted by works;
  • landscaping species will be consistent with BBR vegetation types (from viewing them and lists);
  • rail corridor flora identified and rescued;
  • significant trees north of BBR to remain;
  • will coordinate with BBR on fauna habitat boxes;
  • shared path on west side of railway (avoid remnant vegetation beside BBR on eastern side), to continue across the railway to White St;
  • have met twice with the Construction Liaison Community Group on equipment storage, works, water table unaffected, grounding of cables, etc.

Continue reading »

Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 1st March 2023

Correspondence

Out
Letter on ‘ Incremental creep’ to Councillors
Letters to Council regarding foreshore planting

Kingston Residents Association

Zoom Meeting tonight. Topic – Urban Forest Strategy. Submissions due this Friday.

Replacement of Foreshore Banksias

There will be only 4 Banksias planted at Parkdale Yacht Club not 12. The remainder to be planted elsewhere, but not on Foreshore.

Continue reading »

Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 7th December 2022

Kingston Council Update

Key points

  • Launch of ‘Talking Kingston’  – a year-round consultation that invites the community to provide feedback and ideas on projects and initiatives to feed into future Council budgets. Talking Kingston will provide the community with early input and a greater level of influence over Council decisions. It will also promote increased transparency, with Council regularly reporting back to the community on where their feedback has impacted key outcomes.  Access Talking Kingston via the Your Kingston Your Say Page
  • ‘Integrated Water Strategy adopted’ – Conserving drinking water, increasing the use of alternative water, improving our flood management (including prevention and response) and improving the quality of stormwater runoff that flows into our watercourses and into Port Phillip Bay are the major objectives of Kingston’s new Integrated Water Strategy. The strategy and supporting documents received strong support during public consultation held across July, August and September this year and will guide our water management for the next decade
  • Community consultation on Urban Forest Strategy – Consultation is set to kick off on the draft Urban Forest Strategy. Kingston’s canopy cover is currently low at just 12.3% and projections show that without intervention, it will decrease by 2030. The strategy establishes the direction and actions to increase canopy cover across Kingston to 20% by 2050
  • Peri-urban Weed Management Partnership funding from DELWP. Council, in partnership with the Bunurong Land Council are successful in obtaining $400K funding over 4 years to set up an indigenous ranger team and work on weeds and ‘return to country’ projects.

Updates for bushland team

  • Recruiting for two new rangers now and an apprentice early in new year.
  • Update on weed contract,  Seeds are doing a good job during a very wet spring.
  • Habitat hectare assessment being undertaken by Practical Ecology, council is meeting up with consultant prior to Christmas break to review how they are tracking. Report due March next year.
  • National Standards – Council staff undertook some training recently and will be incorporating the National Standards principles into maintenance programs early in new year.
  • Bradshaw Victorian Environment Friends Network grant. Lee met with fauna consultant to look at appropriate species habitat boxes and their monitoring. Awaiting quote.

Continue reading »

Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 5th October 2022

Correspondence

Adrian from Kingston Council
Grange newsletter
Mordialloc Creek Community update
Dredging of Creek is being called for

Bradshaw Bushland Reserve

Meeting with Level Crossing Removal Project for Parkdale in October.

Dents Reserve

Park naming postponed.

Port Phillip Conservation Council

Concerns over Jet skis.
Annual General Meeting on Wednesday 17th at 7pm at the Chelsea Community Centre. Kathleen McKinnis will speak on Port Phillip tidal movements and erosion.

Continue reading »

Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 5th May 2021

Correspondence

Response Letter from Minister R. Wynne’s office regarding the protection of Green Wedge.

Pompei Site.

The developers damaged a Council-managed open drain in an easement at the rear of this site, after notification by a resident a Council engineer is to inspect the drain.
A meeting with Councilor Tim Cochrane is being organized to discuss the future of the site.
Need stakeholder input and support. G.Vines from KCC excellent heritage report on the site should be bought to the attention of T. Cochrane.
DELWP are now landlords of Pompei’s Landing, excluding the former boat shed site.
Plan to contact Mr Pel regarding the blind corner as bikes emerge from under Pompei’s bridge.

Kington City Council Coastal Management Plan.

Refer Council Meeting Minutes 26.4.21 Agenda item 2 regarding toilet facility

Parkdale Yacht Club.

Suggested a letter be sent to DELWP questioning why the plans were passed and voicing our disapproval.

Continue reading »

Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Newsletter – October 2020

Council Elections

Hopefully more information will be provided about who is standing in each of Kingston’s eleven wards with one councillor in each ward. Voting will be postal. There are some important issues for new councillors to consider and hopefully make decisions that are not environmentally harmful. Some of these issues are listed below.

Dent’s Paddock

After a long campaign people were pleased with Council’s decision to buy the land for much needed open space. But it is disturbing to find that a potential councillor is querying that decision, claiming that the money should be spent elsewhere, rather than saving the remnant indigenous plants, trees and open space provided at Tarella Road.

Mordialloc Creek Community Meeting

This was a Zoom meeting which one of our members was able to view and has given us a detailed report on the issues. One of the issues is that spoil from future dredging will be deposited in the dredge spoil grounds in Port Phillip Bay when the POM does their dredging in late 2021. Another topic discussed was the wetlands. They are considered a priority by Melbourne Water but the program still lacks funds. It may start sometime in 2021. The new Mordialloc Creek Master Plan should be released in the next few weeks. More car parking is planned in Attenborough Park to cater for boat owners. However there is no launching ramp on that side of the creek and car parking will be limited on the Pompei site, if the four storey apartment block goes ahead. Two MBCL members continue to attend “virtual” VCAT meetings about the Pompei site.
Construction of new pontoons for Mordialloc Creek upstream and adding a change room facility to the George Woods Reserve are two works estimated to begin in the New Year. Groups of people will be collecting rubbish alongside the creek, as funding was provided to help people laid off work in other areas.

Continue reading »

Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Newsletter – July 2020

Mordialloc Creek Contamination Report

Prior to beginning dredging of the creek a comprehensive report of water quality was carried out. Metal contamination was recorded at all seven sites and exceeded screening levels for at least one contaminant (zinc). The other contaminants were cadmium, copper, lead, silver, mercury, arsenic and chromium depending on the site. There was no testing for PFAS but the report indicated that it was planned to check for that dangerous chemical at a later date.

Bay Trail Rennison Street to Mordialloc Creek

Tenders have gone out for this section of the trail due to commence September or October 2020.

Tree Planting Plan

Quarterly Report from Kingston Council outlines a proposed Street Tree Planting Plan. Council has worked with a consultant in the development of the plan which will provide a consistent approach to strategically prioritise tree planting and replacement based on a key criteria. This will include tree population, heat islands, population density, current tree cover and location in relation to remnant vegetation/habitat areas.

Continue reading »

Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 5th February 2020

Correspondence

Comment made that people want action on climate change so a letter to be sent to a local paper in support of action being taken by Government. This was done.

Dent’s Paddock Development

A VCAT Hearing in May.Issues arising are the proposed location of offsets after removal of vegetation on the site. a request that some of the $7 million offered by Government for the purchase of open space be spent on purchasing this site. There is a shortage of open space in Chelsea and Edithvale.

Road the Bay Trail

A careful watch on work being undertaken along Beach Road by a MBCL member reports that construction appears to be progressing according to the plans approved by Council. While Kingston Council’s plan for the trail from Mordialloc Creek to Carrum proposes to use the Long Beach Trail, LXRA plans to build a bike trail along the Station Street side of the rail line. This will mean removing all existing Banksia Woodland along the rail line. This route is not necessary because there is an existing bike track along the opposite side of Station Street.

Braeside Park Survey

Activities being suggested in this survey include festivals, food outlets, camping, dogs, etc. Such activities would require lighting, increased parking space and noise thus creating disturbance for the flora and fauna which is a feature of Braeside Park.

Continue reading »