Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 1st May 2024

Correspondence

MBCL Files
Mary’s family have requested that we assist sorting out her extensive files. Will organize access and meet at her place to start the process

Kingston Council Update (Foreshore & Bushland)

Spoken to Emily Boucher, Steve Sadler will send us a report, and we can invite to our meeting.
See report from Engineer (Council)
Hutchins Close Mordialloc shared path reconstruction – report from Engineer (Council) that the 2nd stage will be a concrete path along the Doug Denyer Reserve side of Hall Mark Rd
Tarella Rd/ Dents Paddock has been renamed to Woolepe Bushland Reserve

Parkdale and the Mordialloc Railway precincts

Concerns were raised about equipment for railway works has been parked on a sensitive area. It was made clear to the Friends of Bradshaw Bushland Reserve and Environment and Open Spaces Strategic Advisory Committee that the vegetation along the railway track on the reserves back fence would be protected. It has apparently been fenced off. It is still under threat and damage has been caused by drainage works.
Canary Island Palms have been set aside from Parkdale Station Precinct to be planted in the new station’s forecourt. This was negotiated by Council with LXRP as a nod to the planting scheme of the original station.
Design plans for Mordialloc Railway precinct to be released shortly.
Discussion on development of multi-story dwellings along the Suburban Rail Loop.

Continue reading »

Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 10th April 2024

Correspondence

A letter from Mayor Jenna Davey-Burns was letterboxed in our area voicing her concerns regarding Level Crossing Removals in Mordialloc/Aspendale.

Kingston Council Update (Foreshore & Bushland)

Due to staff changes all future reports will be coming through Environment and Open Spaces (EOSAC). Judy to contact Emily Boucher.

Parkdale and the Mordialloc Railway precincts

What is happening behind Bradshaw Bushland Reserve? Tractors and other equipment is parked along the railway line. Has the remnant vegetation that David Bainbridge has been caring for been damaged?
Concern expressed about the return of Canary Island Palms to the Parkdale Station precinct.
Is a consultative group to be formed to advise LXRA on the next stage of level crossing removals? Keep a look out please.

Continue reading »

Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 6th March 2024

Kingston Council Update (Foreshore & Bushland)

Bushland and Foreshore

  • Finalising recruitment for
      • Team leader role, whilst former leader acts in another Council role.
      • My backfill whilst I take some long service leave,
      • Fulltime Foreshore Coordinator
  • We are still on schedule to roll the Draft Biodiversity Strategy out for community consultation in May.
  • We have locked in 4 x Free Plant give away dates in May. These will be released publicly shortly.

Conservation Projects Update:

  • New Conservation e-newsletter about to launch which will cover upcoming events, highlights, stories and information on all things conservation and environment in Kingston.
    Please keep an eye out for the subscription link arriving in in your inbox in the next few days. Link also in my signature below.
  • Media posts on Bradshaw habitat project with wildlife photos is Kingston most viewed post. Had over 1000 views on the first day. The attached 3 photos are hot of the press.

The rest of our wildlife cameras will now be redistributed to each of our crews to use across all conservation reserves to collect data on local fauna species.

On 3rd March, Clean Up Australia Day council hosted 3 events across bushland and foreshore:

  • 1 at Mordialloc Creek had 20 volunteers.
  • 1 on the foreshore north that had a dozen volunteers, including Mayor Davey-Burns
  • 1 on the foreshore south for the Sant Nirankari Mission who teamed up with the Aspendale Beach Patrol totalling 140 volunteers.
  • A combined total of approx. 100 kg of litter.

Representative to attend quarterly.

Continue reading »

Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 7th February 2024

Kingston Council Update (Foreshore & Bushland)

Representative to attend quarterly.
Question for Council Rep. Are the trees planted new or replacement/new?

Mordialloc Railway precinct

On the agenda for Environment and Open Spaces Strategic Advisory Committee this Thursday 8th
Questions – Could the access to Station St be built be designed to go where SCOPE is now? And therefore save Groves Reserve.
What trees are going to be replaced along Como Pd, Parkdale?
Where is the bike path going?

Aquatic Centre

Nina is concerned about night lighting and its effect on wildlife. Is there anything we can do to help her?

Continue reading »

Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 6th December 2023

Correspondence

Sonya Kilkenny re Rossdale Golf Course

Kingston Council Update (Foreshore & Bushland)

Urban Forest Strategy Update

  • Planting completed -4178 trees planted. For example- Chadwick Park, Elder St Park – direct seeding of native grasses on a large scale, Peter Scullin Reserve, Amaroo Drive and Boundary Rd shared path.
  • Target is 8350 trees over 2 years

Biodiversity Strategy

  • Looking for sites identified as being suitable to improve biodiversity. Draft document in New Year.
  • Golf courses have been looked at for their biodiversity.
  • Nina asked how can you report Fauna. ‘ I naturalist’. Victorian Biodiversity Atlas. Refer ‘Gardens for Wildlife’
  • Council are working on a monthly newsletter to inform and encourage volunteers.

Foreshore Update

  • Carrum Lifesaving Club officially opened.
  • Carrum Foreshore boardwalk completed.
  • Dredging works are happening at Mordialloc Creek mouth.
  • Work by DEECA further up the Creek next year. Estimate – $5.5 million
  • Question from Mary regarding the clearing of an area near Parkdale Yacht Club.
  • A boardwalk from the carpark to the beach in Parkdale, is to be built for easier access. The existing ramp will be revegetated.
  • Discussion re Canary Island Palms as a invasive weed.

Continue reading »

Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 4th October 2023

Guest Speaker – Jenny Warfe

Jenny is the Secretary of Port Phillip Conservation Council and recently spoke at the Liveable Victoria Forum organised by Kelvin Thomson. Below are major points of her presentation.
Jenny outlined the history of Port Phillip Conservation Council. They were part of the protest movement against the oil pipeline in 1970 and in 1972 the ethane pipeline. Victory in 1970 but not successful in 1972.
Port Phillip has a catchment area of 10,000 sq kms. The Planning Scheme needs to take into account the importance of the Bay and the Marine & Coastal Policy.
Spoke on STOP the Great Wall of Frankston.
In 2000 Frankston Council set a mandatory height limit of 20 metres. Now have a height limit that preferences developers . A 3 storey DDO until October was put in place. To reconvened to VCAT in November. Talked about the overshadowing of the existing 8 storey SE Water building.
The proposed development is to be built on the lower part of the Carrum Carrum Swamp. Plan even includes an underground carpark 1.5 m above ground water.
Refer – The KOMPAS report 2022
Rights have been whittled away since 2009 – the Major Transport Facilitator Act can override most ‘Protection Acts’
Living in the suburbs in 2050 – an extra 3.1million in Melbourne mainly through migration equals 1million more homes. The Government is actively promoting Melbourne.
Annual General Meeting concluded and it was decided that MBCL join PPCC as a group.

Continue reading »

Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 2nd August 2023

Correspondence

In – Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islands Voice, Australian Conservation Foundation, Bushtracks
Out – To Councillors regarding the Heritage Overlay on Ornond St and further heritage houses to be assessed.

Kingston Council Update (Foreshore & Bushland)

Not much to report on this month:

  • Brad will finishing acting Public Places Team Leader at the end of this week and returning to the Bushland and Foreshore Team Leader position.
  • Adrian has resigned and is going to Mornington Pen Council in their Coastal Planning Team in the coming weeks.
  • Still awaiting responses for Mentone Life Saving Club and Peter Scullin planting plans.
  • The plant that browns off during winter at Epsom is Bolboschoenus caldwellii Marsh Club-rush.

Kingston Housing Strategy

Mordialloc Heritage Overlay. What does it protect? Building Facades only?
Generally there is a push for more development. Need to push for no more development in Carrum Carrum Swamp. Needs to stay Neighbourhood Residential Zone  and given an overlay to prevent subdivision of blocks.

Continue reading »

Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 5th July 2023

Correspondence

In
Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Report Booklet
Newspaper article (CMM News). Council address effects of rising sea levels.
Out
MBCL letter to Council stating we want 3 for 1 replacement of trees removed.

Kingston Council Update (Foreshore & Bushland)

Bushland & Foreshore Team:

  •  19 Tarella Rd – permit has been granted, neighbour fencing has been completed, house demolition will commence on the week of 11th July and all things going well the park fencing will be installed early August. The Bushland crew will also be out in force in the coming weeks to start works on the path network and preparing the site for opening.
  • Wilson Grove Bioswale on the Aspendale foreshore has been completed, with the foreshore crew erecting two new fenced walkways and planting 2300 plants to start dune stabilisation.
  • The free tree giveaway was a fantastic success with just under 5000 tube stock collected by Kingston residents.
  • The western boardwalk through the Epsom Grasslands which was scheduled for removal in May/June has been delayed due to wet weather, but will get underway as soon as the ground dries up a little bit.
  • The foreshore crew is set to expand in the coming months with the addition of two crew members. This will allow two teams to operate along the foreshore and increase focus on conservation works in priority sites.

Friends of Bradshaw Bushland Reserve

LXRP have heard our concerns about flora, fauna and works in meetings and emails:

  • BBR itself is unlikely to be impacted by works;
  • landscaping species will be consistent with BBR vegetation types (from viewing them and lists);
  • rail corridor flora identified and rescued;
  • significant trees north of BBR to remain;
  • will coordinate with BBR on fauna habitat boxes;
  • shared path on west side of railway (avoid remnant vegetation beside BBR on eastern side), to continue across the railway to White St;
  • have met twice with the Construction Liaison Community Group on equipment storage, works, water table unaffected, grounding of cables, etc.

Continue reading »

Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 7th June 2023

Correspondence

In
Australian Conservation Foundation, Wilderness Society, Bushtracks, Stop Rogue Logging,
Stop the Great Wall of Frankston, Sustainable Population Australia, Kingston Your City, Beacon, Birdlife Australia

Emails
Heritage Council have determined that the Mordialloc Water Tower be on the Heritage list.
Port Phillip CC – August 16th at Convention Centre. Forum held by DEECA to showcase the activities delivered under the Port Phillip Bay Environmental Management Plan 2017 -2027 and projects being funded through the Port Phillip Bay Fund. J Warfe will send link to book.
Wayne Imlach reported that the area around Sailing Club had been cleaned up around the lone Casuarina at their working bee.

Kingston Council Update (Foreshore & Bushland)

Brad Lewis has taken over Emily Boucher’s role temporarily. Lee James will take over in the mean time.
Planting on the northern side at the mouth of the creek was done by Council. Yet to know who will be planting on the southern side.
There will be an update on the 2018 Biodiversity Strategy.

Continue reading »

Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 23rd February 2023

Kingston Council Update

Dents Paddock

Waiting for options about renaming of park. Lee James will be starting a Friends Group

Groves Reserve (SCOPE)

Regarding the large scale removal of trees from the site. Adrian Hyland looked into it. This is Crown Land under lease. Council will be issuing an infringement notice as no permit was given for removal of trees. Will they be required to replace 3 for each one lost?

Continue reading »