Summer Edition of Kingston Residents Association, Brad Lewis report received.
Kingston Conservation and Environment Coalition
Consumer Affairs have been contacted and KCEC is dormant at the moment and as Stephen is retiring as the Treasurer it was suggested that KCEC funds be transferred to MBCL and the money used for donations to other groups. This is allowable if donating to a similar group and under $10,000 There was no decision made.
Peter Scullin Reserve
Plans have been altered but unavailable. Will ask Tristan Smith Senior Landscape Architect to bring them to the April Meeting.
Mentone Lifesaving Club
Letter to Age/local paper regarding removal of cliff and extension of footprint.
Guest – Brad Lewis
Brad explained his role as Team Leader of the two branches of Foreshore and Bushland.
Main points –
- Coastal & Marine Management Plan was endorsed by Council in December. Council has an advocacy role regarding water area (eg water catchment, boating, jet skis).
- Peter Scullin Reserve. Check out January 31st Council Meeting Minutes. It features in the Enbloc resolutions.
- Proposed wetlands that were to be created are under review.
- Eel Race Rd – Habitat hectare survey held every 10 years is underway soon. Remnant vegetation has been found.
- Dent’s Paddock – Work will commence, once permit has been granted.
- Aspendale Life Saving Club has been demolished and will be rebuilt before next Summer.
- Mentone Life Saving Club. Plan to plant 3 plants to every 1 lost.
- Friends Groups are restarting.
We thanked Brad for his attendance and invited him back on a quarterly basis. He has offered to send us a monthly report.
Peter Scullin Reserve
Plans have been passed. Susannah Kenny Council Officer informed Judy that a Electronic Vehicle charging station is planned for Peter Scullin Reserve Carpark. Concerned about solar panel recycling and Raid Antigen Test packaging waste.
Mentone Life Saving Club Precinct Development
DELWP have allowed the removal of a large section of the cliff to allow vehicle access to beach.
We met with coordinator of the project Brad Lewis (Team leader Bushland and Foreshore), he will be attending our February meeting.
Round the table
- Mordialloc Creek – Litter survey. Due to no fencing policy (Living Links) vegetation has been trampled where the initially installed fencing was. Complaints were made, and fencing has been reinstalled at sensitive areas but not in the Living Links area.
- People concerned about polluted water pouring into the creek from a drain. Emily Boucher and Melbourne Water were informed. Apparently coming from the pumping station and not a concern.
- George Woods Reserve. The granitic track has widened and eroded and tree roots exposed probably due to COVID causing increased activity.
- Need to change Business cards, and to distribute Coast & Creek booklets.
- Meeting concluded with a presentation to Nina for winning the Victorian Environment Friends Network Best Friends Award 2021.
Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League Inc.
Mordialloc Creek Community Meeting
Mordialloc Creek Wetlands work to commence soon.
Project of Parks Victoria for the whole precinct including Pompies Landing and Attenborough Park.
Mordialloc Creek DELWP/GHD urban design for the future use in view of population increase. Comments from boat owners :
- Important to maintain park lands for public use.
- Protect the environment including birdlife.
- The creek should not be widened.
- Signs needed to alert visitors to the connection of Longbeach trail.
Removal of Level Crossings at Parkers and Warrigal Roads.
City of Kingston Walking & Cycling Strategy
Your Kingston Your Say during September & October. Using a shared digital mapping tool you are able to contribute to mapping out a pedestrian and cycling- friendly Kingston.
Response Letter from Minister R. Wynne’s office regarding the protection of Green Wedge.
The developers damaged a Council-managed open drain in an easement at the rear of this site, after notification by a resident a Council engineer is to inspect the drain.
A meeting with Councilor Tim Cochrane is being organized to discuss the future of the site.
Need stakeholder input and support. G.Vines from KCC excellent heritage report on the site should be bought to the attention of T. Cochrane.
DELWP are now landlords of Pompei’s Landing, excluding the former boat shed site.
Plan to contact Mr Pel regarding the blind corner as bikes emerge from under Pompei’s bridge.
Kington City Council Coastal Management Plan.
Refer Council Meeting Minutes 26.4.21 Agenda item 2 regarding toilet facility
Parkdale Yacht Club.
Suggested a letter be sent to DELWP questioning why the plans were passed and voicing our disapproval.