Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 23rd February 2023
Kingston Council Update
Waiting for options about renaming of park. Lee James will be starting a Friends Group
Groves Reserve (SCOPE)
Regarding the large scale removal of trees from the site. Adrian Hyland looked into it. This is Crown Land under lease. Council will be issuing an infringement notice as no permit was given for removal of trees. Will they be required to replace 3 for each one lost?
Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 7th December 2022
Kingston Council Update
- Launch of ‘Talking Kingston’ – a year-round consultation that invites the community to provide feedback and ideas on projects and initiatives to feed into future Council budgets. Talking Kingston will provide the community with early input and a greater level of influence over Council decisions. It will also promote increased transparency, with Council regularly reporting back to the community on where their feedback has impacted key outcomes. Access Talking Kingston via the Your Kingston Your Say Page
- ‘Integrated Water Strategy adopted’ – Conserving drinking water, increasing the use of alternative water, improving our flood management (including prevention and response) and improving the quality of stormwater runoff that flows into our watercourses and into Port Phillip Bay are the major objectives of Kingston’s new Integrated Water Strategy. The strategy and supporting documents received strong support during public consultation held across July, August and September this year and will guide our water management for the next decade
- Community consultation on Urban Forest Strategy – Consultation is set to kick off on the draft Urban Forest Strategy. Kingston’s canopy cover is currently low at just 12.3% and projections show that without intervention, it will decrease by 2030. The strategy establishes the direction and actions to increase canopy cover across Kingston to 20% by 2050
- Peri-urban Weed Management Partnership funding from DELWP. Council, in partnership with the Bunurong Land Council are successful in obtaining $400K funding over 4 years to set up an indigenous ranger team and work on weeds and ‘return to country’ projects.
Updates for bushland team
- Recruiting for two new rangers now and an apprentice early in new year.
- Update on weed contract, Seeds are doing a good job during a very wet spring.
- Habitat hectare assessment being undertaken by Practical Ecology, council is meeting up with consultant prior to Christmas break to review how they are tracking. Report due March next year.
- National Standards – Council staff undertook some training recently and will be incorporating the National Standards principles into maintenance programs early in new year.
- Bradshaw Victorian Environment Friends Network grant. Lee met with fauna consultant to look at appropriate species habitat boxes and their monitoring. Awaiting quote.
Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 2nd November 2022
Wayne Imlach, Member of Mordialloc Creek community and author of Mordialloc Creek to Lambert Island. Wayne gave an interesting talk about his history and his work monitoring the Creek.
He donated five books to MBCL, which will be on sale for $15.
Wayne has offered to have a meeting at his home in 2023, where he would be happy to share a digital presentation of the Creek.
Kingston Heath Reserve
No outcomes since submissions, re synthetic hockey pitch.
Kingston Residents Association and Move The Train Yard are holding an Election Forum and have invited candidates to speak.
Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 5th October 2022
Adrian from Kingston Council
Mordialloc Creek Community update
Dredging of Creek is being called for
Bradshaw Bushland Reserve
Meeting with Level Crossing Removal Project for Parkdale in October.
Park naming postponed.
Port Phillip Conservation Council
Concerns over Jet skis.
Annual General Meeting on Wednesday 17th at 7pm at the Chelsea Community Centre. Kathleen McKinnis will speak on Port Phillip tidal movements and erosion.
Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League – Minutes – 8th September 2022
Pompei Development Site
The original sign “BOAT BUILDING WORKS” is intended to be placed at the rear carpark of new development. An A3 plaque will be placed on site to recognize the history. Only indigenous planting to be used.
Bradshaw Bushland Reserve
There has been a meeting with Council and Level Crossing Removal Authority (29.8) concerning the protection of the remnant vegetation on the East side of railway line and vegetation within the reserve . They have been sent a list of remnant vegetation provided by the Ranger and to be updated by David Bainbridge. Level Crossing Removal Authority are recommending a shared path to go on the other side of railway. So a very heartening meeting.
Environment & Open Spaces Strategic Advisory Committee
Open Space Strategy is to be updated. Hopefully the existing document and it’s many fine points will not be ignored.