The League was formed in August 1969 and has constantly campaigned to protect the local environment through actions to:
- protect the fragile foreshore reserve vegetation
- ensure that foreshore facilities and amenities are designed and sited so as to preserve the harmony and natural aspects of the coastal environment
- ensure that publicly owned land is not appropriated or exploited for the benefit of private commercial interests
- oppose inappropriate development such as high rise buildings on the foreshore and housing estates in flood-prone areas
- encourage the restoration of wetlands to improve the quality of waters entering the Bay from the Mordialloc Creek
- prevent heavy traffic on Beach Road and support alternatives to car use
The League actively seeks to influence decision making processes through participating in community consultation, preparing submissions and attending hearings, letter writing, networking with other organisations and reporting matters to the responsible authorities.
New members sympathetic to the League’s objectives are welcome. Meetings are held on the first Wednesday of the month. For further information, please telephone 03 9580 2706 or write to The Secretary, Mordialloc Beaumaris Conservation League Inc, 1 Montgomery Street, Mordialloc, VIC, 3195.
Artwork: Watercolour by Mary Rimington.